GreatCollections News (254)
All the latest news about GreatCollections, including Press Releases.
Just joined GreatCollections? Here you will find out useful information for new members.
Learn everything you need to know about bidding and buying coins and numismatic products through GreatCollections
Learn everything you need to know about selling coins, bullion and other items through GreatCollections
Learn everything you need to know about notification, form of payments accepted and shipping informations
Information about My Account at GreatCollections and general Membership questions.
Our Services (3)
Learn more about all of the services we offer at GreatCollections, your full service auction and discounts
Throughout our listings, there are abbreviations about coins, such as VAMs, Overton numbers, pedigree
Learn more about how to contact us regarding our website and coins being offered.
Proof 1938 Half Dollar Sells for Record $81,562 at GreatCollections
Ian Russell on Thu, May 07, 2020 12:28:02 PM
The coin, graded Proof-68+ by PCGS and approved by CAC, is the single finest 1938 Walking Liberty Half Dollar known from an original mintage of 8,152.
Ian Russell, owner/president of GreatCollections said: "During these unprecedented times, there is still significant interest in coins, clearly evident with this realization.
"I had the pleasure of speaking with the winning bidder last week, a serious collector who appreciates quality. I also spoke with one of the underbidders who is putting together the finest collection of coins minted in 1938, his birth year.
Brett Charville, president of PCGS added "The exceptional price realized on this 1938 proof Walker perfectly encapsulates the power of PCGS certification. Not only do PCGS coins of all kinds trade for consistently higher premiums in the market, but PCGS is unmatched when unlocking the full value of transcendently beautiful coins such as this."
Over 3,000 certified coins and banknotes were sold on Sunday alongside the 1938 Walking Liberty Half Dollar. Other notable realizations include:
- 1943-S Lincoln Cent NGC MS-68 – Sold for $1,856
- 1954 Lincoln Cent PCGS MS-67 RD – Sold for $18,061
- 1961-D Lincoln Cent PCGS MS-67+ RD – Sold for $4,837
- 1915-S Buffalo Nickel PCGS MS-66+ – Sold for $8,718
- 1917-S Buffalo Nickel PCGS MS-66 CAC – Sold for $6,609
- 1919-D Mercury Dime PCGS MS-66 FB – Sold for $126,562
- 1952-S Franklin Half Dollar PCGS MS-66 FL – Sold for $2,587
- 1879-S Morgan Silver Dollar VAM-56 Reverse of 1878 Top 100 PCGS VF-20 – Sold for $6,468
- 1879 Four-Dollar Gold Piece Flowing Hair Stella NGC Proof-65+ UC CAC – Sold for $222,187
- 1799 Capped Bust Gold Eagle PCGS MS-64+ – Sold for $135,124
- 2009 MMIX Ultra High Relief $20 Gold PCGS MS-70 PL – Sold for $3,049
- 1959 Gold Hawaii Statehood Medal NGC MS-66 – Sold for $14,625
- 1959 Gold Alaska Statehood Medal NGC MS-66 – Sold for $14,873
- Great Britain 1897 Gold 55mm Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee Medal NGC MS-61 – Sold for $9,168
- India 1870-(C) Gold 10 Rupees Restrike Mature Bust KM-479 NGC Proof-63 – Sold for $6,187
- India 1862-(C) Gold Mohur Restrike KM-480 NGC Proof-63 – Sold for $7,033
- Fr. 1215 1922 $100 Gold Certificate Speelman / White PMG Choice About Unc 58 PPQ – Sold for $7,256
GreatCollections is always looking for consignments large and small. To find out more about selling your coins, visit www.greatcollections.com/selling or telephone 1-800-442-6467.