GreatCollections News (256)
All the latest news about GreatCollections, including Press Releases.
Just joined GreatCollections? Here you will find out useful information for new members.
Learn everything you need to know about bidding and buying coins and numismatic products through GreatCollections
Learn everything you need to know about selling coins, bullion and other items through GreatCollections
Learn everything you need to know about notification, form of payments accepted and shipping informations
Information about My Account at GreatCollections and general Membership questions.
Our Services (3)
Learn more about all of the services we offer at GreatCollections, your full service auction and discounts
Throughout our listings, there are abbreviations about coins, such as VAMs, Overton numbers, pedigree
Learn more about how to contact us regarding our website and coins being offered.
GreatCollections to Auction Turino Collection of U.S. Coins...March 12, 2012, Irvine, Calif. – GreatCollections is proud to auction a group of U.S. coins called the Turino Collection. While the collection contains coins of all price ranges, the highlights include an NGC MS-67 classic High Relief and a complete classic gold Commemorative set.
Ian Russell on Mon, Mar 12, 2012 05:49:14 PM
In 1907, President Theodore Roosevelt recruited Augustus Saint-Gaudens to create what has become the most classic coin in U.S. history. GreatCollections is offering two examples of the High Relief in the auction, the finest being an NGC MS-67 example, which ranks among the finest 20 coins of its type. An NGC MS-62 coin verified by CAC is also being offered, with spirited bidding already taking the coin to over $15,000.
Less than 10 years after the Saint-Gaudens High Relief was issued, San Francisco held the Panama-Pacific Exposition and released a set of coins to commemorate the event. Two of the coins were $50 pieces, containing more than two ounces of gold and are highly sought-after today. Only 483 sets exist of the $50 pieces, which were issued round in design as well as octagonal. At the time of issuing this press release, a bid was already received on the round $50 piece, graded PCGS MS-63 CAC at $72,500.
“We are proud to offer coins of this caliber, and look forward to breaking new company records this week,” said Ian Russell, president of GreatCollections.
Russell continues, “Although we recently sold another Panama-Pacific $50 for $90,000 by direct sale, the $72,500 bid for the coin ending this week eclipses previous company records.”
While every coin has been professionally imaged by GreatCollections, local clients can view the collection by appointment at GreatCollections’ Irvine, California office.
Bidding is open now through March 18, 2012. To register or view more information about this or other certified coins, please visit www.greatcollections.com or telephone 1.800.44.COINS.
Highlights from the Turino Collection of U.S. Coins and other Fine Properties
• 1909-S Lincoln Cent V.D.B. PCGS MS-66 RD
• 1796 Draped Bust Quarter PCGS XF-40
• 1867 Seated Liberty Half Dollar PCGS Proof-65 CAMEO CAC
• 1879-CC Morgan Silver Dollar PCGS MS-64 CAC
• 1915-S Panama-Pacific Exposition $50, Octagonal NGC MS-62
• 1915-S Panama-Pacific Exposition $50, Round PCGS MS-63 CAC
• 1854 Indian Princess Gold Dollar Type 2 PCGS MS-65 CAC
• 1804 Capped Bust Right Half Eagle Small 8 NGC MS-64
• 1813 Capped Head Half Eagle PCGS MS-63 CAC
• 1818 Capped Head Half Eagle 5D/50 NGC MS-64
• 1798/7 Capped Bust Eagle 9x4 Stars NGC AU-50 Reed Collection
• 1803 Capped Bust Eagle Small Stars Reverse NGC MS-62
• 1804 Capped Bust Eagle Crosslet 4 NGC MS-60
• 1914 Indian Eagle NGC Proof-66
• 1907 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle MCMVII. High Relief, Flat Edge NGC MS-67
• 1907 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle MCMVII. High Relief, Wire Edge NGC MS-62 CAC