GreatCollections Coin Auctions and Rare Coins
Home > GC Helpdesk > GreatCollections News  > Ultra High Reliefs and the Trifecta Grade...
GC Helpdesk
All the latest news about GreatCollections, including Press Releases.
Just joined GreatCollections? Here you will find out useful information for new members.
Learn everything you need to know about bidding and buying coins and numismatic products through GreatCollections
Learn everything you need to know about selling coins, bullion and other items through GreatCollections
Learn everything you need to know about notification, form of payments accepted and shipping informations
Information about My Account at GreatCollections and general Membership questions.
Learn more about all of the services we offer at GreatCollections, your full service auction and discounts
Throughout our listings, there are abbreviations about coins, such as VAMs, Overton numbers, pedigree
Learn more about how to contact us regarding our website and coins being offered.
Ultra High Reliefs and the Trifecta Grade...
Ian Russell on Sat, Oct 08, 2011 07:07:10 PM
One of the hottest coins on the market at the moment is the 2009 Ultra High Relief.  I can't go into exact specifics why they are so popular, but here is a general assessment:

- It's a one year type coin
   - It's made out of gold
   - It's a classic coin design
   - It comes in different grades, including the sought-after PL designations
   - It's popular on TV sales programs and also overseas

If clients have any coins in sealed boxes - don't open them now.  In sealed boxes, they sell for a premium.  If the box is dated prior to the First Strike/Early Release cut-off, it is worth a higher premium, and is worth grading in the sealed box (call us if you want our help with this).

The trifecta grade is the PCGS MS-70 PL First Strike.  It's a 70, it's Proof-like and it's First Strike.  These coins sell for a lot of money.  Think $15,000++.  Out of the few hundred UHRs we have sold over the past two months, only one hit this grade trifecta and we sold it in minutes last Friday night.

PCGS was late to the game with grading PL, so there is a large number of First Strike MS-70s that might be Proof-like.  If you have a MS-70 First Strike and want us to review it for Proof-like, please give us a call.  If we think it's worthwhile, we will tell you and can even handle the regrading.

I know there are small pockets of Ultra High Reliefs around, so when you are ready to sell, please consider GreatCollections.  If you don't want to go the auction route, we will write you a check on the spot.  We are one of the largest market-makers in these coins.

PS.  PCGS has started to use a signed John Mercanti insert for Ultra High Reliefs.  We have these available from time-to-time, so please let us know if you are interested in a MS-69, MS-69 PL, MS-70 or MS-70 PL example.  They start at around $3,000 for the MS-69s and go up from there.

PPS.  If you make the trifecta grade as a result of reading this, my favorite drink is Southern Comfort.  :-)

Ian Russell