Important Highlights in June Auctions at GreatCollections...
Ian Russell on Thu, May 17, 2012 09:40:40 AM
GreatCollections to offer important highlights in June coin auctions
Includes four Mormon gold pieces and Libertas Americana medal in silver
GreatCollections will offer a number of important U.S. coins in the June auctions, including four Mormon gold pieces, a toned Morgan dollar collection and an exceedingly rare Libertas Americana medal struck in silver.
Mormon gold pieces were issued between 1849 and 1860, and have gained in popularity over the past 10 years. Of the three coins being auctioned on June 3rd from a single consignor, two are valued in the $25,000-$28,000 range, while the rare 1860 $5 "Lion" coin is valued at over $50,000. The Lion has been graded MS-61 by NGC. A fourth coin from a different owner will be offered in the June 10th auction at GreatCollections.
The Libertas Americana medal is one of only 25-30 that survived in silver, and is graded by PCGS. The last example to appear at public auction realized over $80,000. Confirming its stature, the medal is ranked number one in "The 100 Greatest American Medals and Tokens" book by Katherine Jaeger and Q. David Bowers.
"Mormon gold coins, the Libertas Americana medal in silver and other coins of this caliber are rarely offered at auction – we certainly feel privileged to have been entrusted with their sale. Aside from these rarities, thousands of other coin auctions will take place in June, with auctions ending every Sunday," said Ian Russell, President of GreatCollections.
Another important consignment, which includes the fourth Mormon gold piece and over 50 other U.S. key date coins, will be sold completely unreserved over several Sundays in June. This collection includes an 1856 Flying Eagle cent graded PCGS Proof-65 CAC. This coin is expected to sell for over $12,000.
Collectors of toned coins will enjoy a fresh collection of Morgan dollars, all graded by PCGS and verified by CAC.
Russell added, "Originally consisting of 26 coins, the client sent all to CAC and an amazing 25 coins came back CAC-verified – one of the highest percentages known of CAC approval. This is a testament to the quality of the coins and all are attractively toned to varying degrees."
While every coin has been professionally imaged by GreatCollections, local clients can view coins by appointment at GreatCollections’ Irvine, California office. Bidding is open now. To register or view more information about these coins, please visit www.greatcollections.com or telephone 1.800.44.COINS.
June auction highlights at GreatCollections
- 1856 Flying Eagle Cent PCGS Proof-65 CAC
- 1877 Indian Cent PCGS Proof-65 RB CAC
- 1909-S Lincoln Cent V.D.B. PCGS MS-66+ RD
- 1916-D Mercury Dime NGC MS-65 FB
- 1795 Flowing Hair Silver Dollar 3 Leaves NGC XF-40
- 1799/8 Draped Bust Silver Dollar 15 Reverse Stars PCGS AU-55
- 1879-CC Morgan Silver Dollar PCGS MS-64 OGH
- 1872-CC Seated Liberty Silver Dollar PCGS XF-45
- 1883 Morgan Silver Dollar PCGS Proof-65
- 1886 Morgan Silver Dollar PCGS Proof-64 CAMEO CAC
- 1893-CC Morgan Silver Dollar PCGS MS-62 CAC
- 1896 Morgan Silver Dollar NGC Proof-65 CAMEO
- 25 Toned Morgan Dollars PCGS MS-64/66 CAC
- 1873-CC Trade Silver Dollar PCGS AU-55
- 1914 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle PCGS MS-65
- 1907 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle MCMVII High Relief, Wire Edge PCGS MS-63
- 1908 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle NGC MS-68
- 2009 Ultra High Relief PCGS MS-70 PL (Mercanti Signed Label)
- 1849 Five Dollar Mormon PCGS AU-50 CAC
- 1849 Five Dollar Mormon PCGS VF-35
- 1850 Five Dollar Mormon PCGS VF-35
- 1860 Five Dollar Mormon NGC MS-61
- (1871) Libertas Americana Medal in Silver PCGS AU-50
- Pattern 1878 $5 J-1574 PCGS Proof-65 RB CAC